CHARLESTON, W.V. – No. 3 Coffeyville (KS) defeated top seed and No. 1 ranked Owens 3-1 (25-23, 25-20, 14-25, 25-19) to claim the 2017 NJCAA Division II Volleyball Championship – its first in program history.
Coffeyville jumped out on top early in the first set and led 12-9 midway through the stanza, but Owens used a five point outburst to take a 14-12 advantage. The Ravens regathered themselves and outscored the Express 13-9 to win the first frame 25-23. In the second set, Coffeyville led the entire way to take a 2-0 match lead, but the top seed fought back in the third to cut the deficit to 2-1. In the fourth and final set, the squads traded blows before Coffeyville closed out the set on a 13-6 run.
- Tournament MVP Daniela Santos finished the championship contest with 17 kills and 19 digs. Santos finished the postseason with 70 kills and 82 digs.
- Leading attacker for the Ravens against Owens, Adianez Reyes Rivera tallied 28 kills and two block assists and was named to the All-Tournamen Team.
- Dekyra Dennis of Coffeyville accumulated 53 of the Ravens' assists.
- The Express entered Saturday undefeated with a 40 match win streak and only dropped one set the entire tournament before losing to Coffeyville.
- Owens' Michaela Eisenhauer led the Express with 11 kills.
- Devon Heitkamp controlled the frontline for Owens, as she assisted on four blocks and tallied one solo block to lead all players.