DRYDEN, N.Y. – Jazmine Bustos punched in the game winning goal 78 seconds into overtime to lift No. 2 Brookhaven (TX) over No. 1 Herkimer (NY) 2-1 to win its first NJCAA Division III Women's Soccer Championship in program history.
The Bears jumped on the scoreboard first off an unassisted goal from tournament MVP Deshae Darrell to take a 1-0 lead with just over 23 minutes remaining in the first period. Both squads battled to the end of the first stanza to remain 1-0 in favor of Brookhaven. In the second frame the squads traded blows for a majority of the period until the Generals broke the ice in the 87th minute off a goal from Mikayla Blumenstock to tie the game at 1-1.
With the momentum seeming to be in favor of Herkimer, Brookhaven used the small break leading into the extra period to regather themselves and pushed the issue until Bustos knocked in the championship clinching score.
- Bustos' goal was only her third of the entire season.
- Darrell scored in every postseason contest, tallying two goals in each of the first two games before netting the first goal of the championship match.
- Offensive MVP of the tournament went to Brookhaven's Joseline Sorto who tallied five points, which included a goal and an assist versus Montgomery (MD).
- Freshman Alexandra Aguilar of Brookhaven was name Defensive MVP. The freshman defender helped control the defensive side of the field, as the Bears only allowed one goal the entire tournament.
- Herkimer's goalie Rachel Todd saw plenty of action on her end defending 13 shots on goal and accumulating 11 saves. Her counterpart Daniela Marin of Brookhaven only received one shot on goal.
- After scoring four goals in each in the previous two matches of the tournament, the Generals were held scoreless until the 87th minute of the championship.
- The Bears wrapped up their championship campaign with a 14-3-1 record while the top seed of the tournament Herkimer finished at 18-2-0.