ARNOLD, Md. – Monroe CC (NY) captured its fifth straight women’s lacrosse national championship with a 12-3 victory over Howard (MD) at Siegert Field in Arnold, Maryland.
The Tribunes jumped on the scoreboard first after Morgan Hollenbeck scored on a free position shot. Dana Isaacs a few minutes later tallied a point to extend Monroe CC’s advantage to 2-0. Olivia Canby earned the first points on the afternoon for Howard to cut the deficit to 2-1, but MCC added two more goals to begin to pull away, as they into intermission with a 6-2 advantage.
In the second stanza Monroe CC outscored Howard 6-1 to earn the 2017 NJCAA women’s lacrosse championship.
- Offensive Player of the Tournament Taylor Excell accumulated five points in the two tournament games, four goals and one assist.
- Isaacs and Christie Hahn each tallied three goals in the championship match.
- With the win, the Tribunes finished the season 15-0. It also marked the 83rd straight victory for the program.
- MCC has won seven of the last eight women’s lacrosse championships.
- Howard finishes its championship runner-up season 16-2.