HERKIMER, N.Y. – Winning its program’s sixth NJCAA Division III men’s soccer title and first since 2007, Richland (Texas) coasted to a 4-0 victory over Camden County (N.J.) Sunday at Wehrum Stadium.
- Sergio Lara netted two goals in the first half for Richland, leading the Thunderducks in scoring.
- Both of Lara’s scores came off assists from Mikkel Rohde who also scored a goal for Richland. Totaling a goal and four assists, Rohde garnered tournament MVP accolades.
- David Fragua scored a goal for the Thunderducks with Nathan Thompson earning the assist.
- Lara and Fragua were both named to the all-tournament team.
- The Richland defense held Camden County to no shots-on-goal.
- Richland’s 4-0 margin of victory tied for highest all-time in the DIII final, matching the spread achieved by Herkimer (N.Y.) in 2000 and themselves in 2002.
- Richland’s six NJCAA DIII men’s soccer titles are second-most all-time. Herkimer holds the current record with 10 championships.
- The Thunderducks finish with a 16-2-0 record with their two losses coming against undefeated Tyler (Texas) and San Jacinto-South (Texas), both qualifiers for the NJCAA DI Men’s Soccer Championship.
- Camden County suffered its first loss of 2016 in the championship match, dropping to 18-1-4 for 2016.
Photos courtesy of Herkimer Athletics.