Yuma, AZ – For the first time in program history, No. 6 Lackawanna (PA) completed a perfect season with a 17-10 victory over No. 19 Arizona Western in the El Toro Bowl. The victory capped the Falcons' season at 11-0.
Behind a dominant second half defensive effort from the Falcons, Lackawanna held Arizona Western scoreless for the final 37:47 of the game to complete its undefeated campaign. Lackawanna relied on two first-half passing touchdowns from Shane McLaughlin- a 26-yard pass to Nasir Hooker in the first and a 67-yard strike to Javon Turner in the second. Turner received offensive MVP honors for the Falcons.
JaQuan Brisker registered seven tackles including a sack to land defensive MVP honors for Lackawanna while Sylvanus Waibogha tallied nine solo tackles on the day. The Falcon defense found themselves on the field almost twice as long as the offensive side as Arizona Western totaled 39:04 of possession, but the defensive front prevailed to allow just 10 points for the victory.
- The bowl victory is the third postseason win for the Falcons since 1994.
- Lackawanna is now 2-1 all-time in postseason games in the state of Arizona.
- Falcons' head coach Mark Duda, the winningest active coach in NJCAA history improved to 177-78 overall, the ninth-most wins all-time in the NJCAA.
- Tobias Gilliam earned defensive MVP honors for Arizona Western with two tackles and an interceptiojn.
- JaDon Hayes was named Arizona Western's offensive MVP after rushing for a game-high 115 yards on 27 attempts with a touchdown.
- Arizona Western falls to 7-3 all-time in the El Toro Bowl.
- Lackawanna becomes the first team from the eastern time zone to win an El Toro Bowl game.