Bosecker and Brathwaite repeat as winners at U of I's Hathaway Challenge
February 4, 2013
INDIANAPOLIS – The Vincennes University Track & Field Teams continued their strong indoor season Saturday at the Tom Hathaway Challenge at the University of Indianapolis, as freshman Kendra Bosecker and sophomore Kenrisha Brathwaite claimed their second consecutive pole vault and 60 Meter Hurdle competitions and the Trailblazers grabbed top finishes in three other events.
Also, five VU competitors have now qualified for the NJCAA Indoor National Championship Meet, scheduled for March 1 and 2 at Texas Tech University.
Bosecker turned in an effort of 11.483 feet Saturday to tie for the win with Hannah Ciasto-Poor of Ball State. At the previous weekend’s Indiana Wesleyan Indoor Track & Field Invitational in Marion, she won with a vault of 11 feet, 11.75 inches. The vault topped her nearest competitor’s height of 11 feet, 5.75 inches.
Brathwaite was at the top of the winner’s stand for a second straight week in the 60 Meter Hurdles. Her time of 8.71 was far ahead of second place Camille Edwards, a junior from the University of Indianapolis, who finished in 9.02 seconds.
The Trailblazers’ other victory in the women’s meet was sophomore Janie Burnett’s heave in the weight throw. She won with a distance of 50.16 feet.
Burnett was also fourth in the shot put with an effort of 41.89 feet.
In addition, The VU women also had the following top-10 performances:
· Freshman Mariah Davis: Fourth place in the Long Jump (16 feet, 5 inches),
· Freshman Whitney Wiist: Sixth place in the 3000 Meter Run (11:18.18), and,
· Brathwaite: Eighth place in the 60 Meter Dash (8.08).
On the men’s side Saturday, VU sophomore Da’Quann Warren was first in the 600 Meter Run with a time of 1:24.57, while Ernest Gardner won the triple jump at just less than 43 feet.
The Trailblazer relay squads were near the top of the leader board again on Saturday. One of VU’s 4x400 Meter Relay Teams (Warren, sophomore Cordney Ellis and freshmen Ed Benson and Paul Imhoff) was second with a time of 3:27.17, while a second Trailblazer group (sophomore Rashaun Jones, freshman John Rodrick, freshman Cameron Turner and sophomore Chris Lane) in that event was fourth at 3:42.92.
Other top-10 finishes for the VU men were:
· Freshman Treyvon Matthews: Fourth place in the 60 Meter Hurdles (8.36),
· Sophomore Briar Lillard: Fourth place in the Shot Put (46.72 feet),
· Imhoff: Fifth place in the 600 Meter Run (1:29.48),
· Sophomore Rashaun Jones: Fifth place in the 60 Meter Dash (7.13),
· Freshman Shaquelle Lewis: Fifth place in the Shot Put (46.39 feet),
· Lillard: Fifth place in the Weight Throw (50.72 feet),
· Freshman Taylor Killings: Seventh place in the 60 Meter Hurdles (8.65),
· Freshman Andrew Archer: Seventh place in the Shot Put (42.65 feet),
· Sophomore Cole Goodman: Seventh place in the Weight Throw (46.69 feet),
· Freshman Derrick Dabney: Ninth place in the 60 Meter Hurdles (8.67),
· Freshman Lucas Kling: Ninth place in the Shot Put (40.09 feet),
· Lewis: Ninth place in the Weight Throw (45.67 feet), and,
· Sophomore Hunter Motz: 10th place in the 1 Mile Run (4:29.53).
VU will head to the Grand Valley State University Big Meet on Friday and Saturday in Allendale, MI.