Laredo Crowned DI Men's Tennis National Champions
May 18, 2012
Laredo Community College (Texas) claimed its fourth Division I Men’s Tennis national championship Friday on the campus of Collin County Community College in Plano, Texas. The Palaminos totaled 43 points in the tournament to edge second-place Tyler Junior College (Texas) who finished with 38 points. Tying for third with 37 points were Collin County and Georgia Perimeter College.
In singles, Laredo scored two victories and two runner-up finishes. Laredo sophomore Leonardo Ivic defeated Cowley CCC (Kan.) freshman Manuel Raga 7-6 (4), 4-6, 6-4 for the No. 4 singles championship. In No. 5 singles, freshman Caio Gomes cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Tyler sophomore Javier Perez. Palamino sophomore Jair Assuncao dropped the No. 1 singles title with a 6-3, 6-2 defeat at the hands of Georgia Perimeter freshman Menford Owusu. Laredo recorded their second runner-up finish in No. 2 singles when sophomore Bruno Kliskinic lost to Georgia Perimeter sophomore Ismail Lemtouni 6-2, 6-3.
Despite not winning a championship in doubles, Laredo benefitted from two more runner-up finishes. In No. 1 doubles, Kliskinic and sophomore Jeremie Castela fell 7-5, 6-4 to Lemtouni and freshman Davis Dawson of Georgia Perimeter. Laredo freshman Luis Hernandez and Assuncao were beaten 6-2, 1-6, 6-4 by Tyler freshman Jacob Rother and sophomore Luis Vivas in No. 3 doubles.
Other results in singles included Collin County freshman Donovan McSeveney’s 6-3, 6-1 win over Tyler freshman Tassilo Schmid in No. 3 singles and a No. 6-singles victory for Tyler’s Rother against sophomore David White of Vincennes University (Ind.) 7-6 (5), 3-6, 6-1.
In No. 2 doubles, Collin County freshman Brady Bohrnstedt and McSeveney tallied a 6-2, 6-2 win over Vincennes freshman Jose Soto and sophomore Jose Zaatini.
1. Menford Owusu (Georgia Perimeter) def. Jair Assuncao (Laredo)
2. Ismail Lemtouni (Georgia Perimeter) def. Bruno Kliskinic (Laredo)
3. Donovan McSeveney (Collin County) def. Tassilo Schmid (Tyler)
4. Leonardo Ivic (Laredo) def. Manuel Raga (Cowley County)
5. Caio Gomes (Laredo) def. Javier Perez (Tyler)
6. Jacob Rother (Tyler) def. David White (Vincennes)
1. Davis Dawson/Ismail Lemtouni (Georgia Perimeter) def. Jeremie Castela/Bruno Kliskinic (Laredo)
2. Brady Bohrnstedt/Donovan McSeveney (Collin County) def. Jose Soto/Jose Zaatini (Vincennes)
3. Jacob Rother/Luis Vivas (Tyler) def. Jair Assuncao/Luis Hernandez (Laredo)
Click Here for Full Results